Thursday, October 6, 2011

My (slightly dorky) Sonnet about Writing Sonnets

I figured I should put some original material up here, since the only other written pieces are written on the spot and aren't really literary in any way or already published. This is a sonnet I wrote about writing sonnets, with an introduction. I was sort of inspired by Bach's music to display the musical elements of the Fugue and his Well-Tempered Clavier books about, well, well-tuned keyboard instruments, to write something to display a writing format. So, I wrote a sonnet about writing sonnets, with a little advice about writing one yourself.

I was taught how to write a sonnet in my creative writing class last semester at Eastfield, and I pretty much fell in love with the idea of writing something to such a specific structure and requiring such short length, since I almost always have to have some kind of structure and/or rhyming scheme and almost never write in free verse.


Enjoy:


How to Write a Shakespearean Sonnet

Hopefully you'll already be familiar with the specifics and technical details about writing a sonnet. It must be in iambic pentameter, must contain fourteen lines and each line must fit the rhyming scheme of a-b-a-b, c-d-c-d, e-f-e-f, g-g.


You think you want to write a sonnet? Hey!
Oh, I've got just the thing for you, my friend.
So just sit tight and I'll explain my way,
And please remember this is not the end.

It helps to think of sonnets like a theme
With introduction, middle and an end,
Where quatrain 1 will introduce the theme
And subjects of nos. 2 and 3 extend.

But don't forget the sonnet's end, the tip,
The couplet is the most important part.
It means to make the end more than a blip
And puts perspective on the sonnet's heart.

            So now I hope you won't feel so much stress
            And now you'll write a masterpiece, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment