Monday, August 29, 2011

Songs I'm Obsessed With: "Running Up That Hill" by Placebo

The first time I heard this song was during a commercial for a History Channel special on the American civil war. I remember thinking how unfitting it seemed to be for the subject material, but for the commercial itself it was quite good. I suppose it was interesting to see a modern twist for something about the past. I shazamed it to find the song was "Running Up That Hill" by Placebo. Oh, how useful Shazam is, even if I'm wi-fi locked.

There really isn't much to say about this song. I suppose the first thing I thought of when I saw the band name was of something relating to the Deftones, which is not a very good thing. Of course, I could clearly not hear anything of the sort in the song, and I wanted to hear the rest of it. I downloaded it from iTunes (to date the only reason you'll find something with The Vampire Diaries on my iPod) and listened away to find a mysterious piece of music. Very mysterious and unique. The percussion drives the song with a series of repeating heartbeats, and the background is filled with various ambient noises. I've noticed lately that ambient noise works really well for making your music seem alive, and this song is alive and breathing.

It's a really great song that deserves your attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment